The windows registry is a database which shops settings and alternatives for the working system for Microsoft windows 32-bit versions, 64-bit versions and windows cellular.
It includes records and settings for all of the hardware, software program, users, and alternatives of the computer. whenever a user makes changes to “manipulate Panel” settings, or file associations, gadget policies, or hooked up software program, the changes are contemplated and stored in the registry.
The registry is definitely a big file in which a number of setting can be saved.
This record has been around pretty a while and has had specific names.
the first windows model that used the home windows registry to store settings became home windows three.11 and the registry in that version of windows became called Reg.dat.
In home windows ninety five & 98 the registry files are named user.dat and machine.dat and are stored inside the home windows directory.
windows ME referred to as the registry documents, classes.dat, user.dat, and device.dat and stored them in the home windows directory.
sooner or later the latest versions of home windows like, windows NT, 2000, 2003, & XP stores the registry documents like this,
The Registry files are saved in %SystemRoot%System32Config:
• The NTUSER.dat report is stored inside the profile folder.
The home windows Registry became delivered to tidy up the vintage way of storing textual content entries in INI documents. these entries had formerly been used to keep configuration settings for home windows applications.
The ini documents where stored in quite a few one-of-a-kind directories and many packages used their personal ini record for some or all in their settings. This way of using ini documents all around the device, made them difficult to preserve track of and manage in an clean and logical way.
What’s desirable with the Registry
changing from having one or greater INI documents according to application to 1 centralised registry has some obvious and some not so apparent advantages:
• The registry continues gadget configuration break free consumer configuration. when a consumer logs right into a home windows NT/XP/2003 pc, their registry settings are merged with the machine huge settings. This allows programs to extra effortlessly maintain in keeping with-consumer configuration, as they can simply work with the ‘cutting-edge user’ key, whereas within the past they tended to simply maintain machine-wide according to-software settings. There are constantly some device huge settings which are not unusual for all customers even though.
• institution coverage allows administrators on a windows-based pc network to centrally manipulate program and policy settings. This isn’t used in a domestic surroundings, best in organizations with a committed logon server.
• because the registry is accessed through a unique API it’s far to be had to scripts and far flung management the usage of WMI. each script does now not ought to be customised for every software’s particular configuration document layouts and regulations.
• The registry can be accessed as one item over a network connection for far flung management/guide, which includes from scripts, using the usual API.
• it can be sponsored up greater without problems, in that it is just a small range of files in precise locations.
terrible matters with the Registry
not all that shines is gold. The Registry introduces a few problems as nicely:
• it’s miles a unmarried factor of failure – harm to the Registry can render a home windows system unbootable, in extreme instances to some extent that cannot be constant, and requires a full reinstall of windows. that is why it is so vital to apply registry scan and restore utilities, while the registry still may be repaired.
• Any application which desires to manage the registry ought to use special windows API features whereas a configuration report can be manipulated the usage of regular text report-processing strategies.
• Configuration files can incorporate feedback to assist the consumer by means of explaining what values are for and how they can be changed, the registry can not. And the registry use some thing known as guids in a large scale. long abnormal precise numbers this is absolutely meaningless to people. Making managing an awful lot harder.
• it is greater hard to backup – it can not be done ‘stay’ due to the fact it is always in use, and consequently requires unique software program together with ntbackup.
• Restoring elements of the registry is difficult because you cannot easily extract statistics from backed up registry files
• Any software that doesn’t uninstall well, or does not have an uninstaller, can depart entries within the registry, which can lead over the years to extended record length and decreased performance. And yet again, here’s the fundamental purpose why you have to use a registry scan/clean and restore software.
The registry may be redone another time with the release of the new Vista running machine from Microsoft.